Our Family

Our Family
Baby Levi

Saturday, April 9, 2011

At the hospital... again!

It has been a whirlwind over the past 24 hours!

Sarah had a couple appointments on Friday that indicated that Levi was healthy and growing well (he measured 5 pounds, 10 ounces yesterday) and the the amniotic fluid was at a healthy (and higher than it had been) level. We also felt a certain measure of comfort in knowing that we had a negative result from the test that gives a good indication if pre-term labor is about to start!

However, Sarah again started feeling regular contractions on Friday evening and then noticed some pretty significant bleeding. We rushed back to the hospital and were checked into the labor and delivery corner of the hospital. We spent most of the night not really knowing anything - the nurses were in touch with the doctor and hooked Sarah up to an IV and were giving her something to stop or significantly reduce the contractions. Nothing really changed over those 8-9 hours and when we finally were able to talk with a doctor, there was still a certain amount of uncertainty and ambiguity.

We had an ultrasound this morning and that confirmed that Sarah's water had broken and that the amniotic fluid was very low. This essentially removed the possibility that we would go home, but did not mean that the baby had to be delivered right away. There has been little to no dilation to go along with regular contractions, so it hasn't been a clear or easy decision.

After meeting with the doctor later in the morning, we agreed to continue to try and see how things play out. We have been told that every day that Levi can stay inside Sarah equals 2 or 3 days of him not being in intensive care after he is born. They are working to find a good place of medication that will allow Sarah to rest and give a little break from some of the significant pain that she is experiencing. They are also monitoring Levi closely to see how he is doing and looking for any signs that labor is progressing.

This is where we are now... We know that Levi is still healthy. We don't know when he will be born. We do know that he will most likely have to spend some time in the NICU when he comes - especially if that happens this week. We are talking with the medical staff here and are praying for wisdom about what to do next. We covet your prayers for wisdom and for safety and for comfort. We will update this blog as we are able, but we don't know what the rest of the day will look like at this point.Thank you for sharing this journey with us!

Zephaniah 3:17 (NIV)

"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."


  1. Father God,
    Thank you for the Pederson Family's faithful and steadfast service, joy, love and trust in you. We know you are behind the present circumstances...and in that You are at work for them. Guide, protect, nurture, bless this situation, every word and every action...in Your perfect timing. May your peace fill Drew and Sarah every moment of this journey. In Jesus' precious name. Amen

  2. here for you whenever you need us. Will be praying for a happy, healthy baby and mother :)

  3. Praying for wisdom, safety, comfort and peace!

  4. Thanks for the update! Praying for a safe & healthy delivery at the best possible time. Lots of love!